Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench Lifestyle and Tech Forums, Computex Taipei 2014 Coverage, SG TECH SHOW 2014, PC SHOW 2014 Price list > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > ASRock (AMD Boards)

ASRock (AMD Boards) Support forum for ASRock products. This channel is for AMD boards.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 and 939Dual-VSTA beta bios for AMD X2 6400+

ASRock (AMD Boards)

Add this thread to:  Submit to Clesto Clesto  Submit to Digg Digg  Submit to Reddit Reddit  Submit to Furl Furl  Submit to Del.icio.us Del.icio.us  Submit to Spurl Spurl

Old 04-11-2007, 09:09 PM

Potenza rep: 8
wizzard0003 is on a distinguished road

Getting to the subject of this thread, I've flashed to
this BIOS (2.30E) and everything seems to be just fine...

Was wondering though if anyone has installed an 8800GT
in one of these boards and if there are any incompatabilities
with the PCI-E 2.0 and the ULI chipset/BIOS as there seem
to be problems with the Intel equivellent board and the VIA
chipset/BIOS...?

\\//_
PCP&C 750W / Samsung 2253LW 21.6" LCD - 1680 x 1050 / Floppy
2x30GB OCZ Vertex SSD RAID-0 W7RC1-64 / Seagate 320GB SATA II VHP-64
DVDROM / DVDRW / Logitech LX7
Old 06-11-2007, 09:53 AM

Armatoste is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus View Post
About the aforementioned Phenom:
Someone from Asrock stated that Phenoms won´t be supported, because 939dual´s flash rom is too small to include the necessary code.

Really? The Phenom bios takes up more than 512KB?

The 2.30E bios only takes up 260KB, I don't see why the Phenom bios would take up so much space.

What do you think Bluetooth?

And as for the 8800GT working on the 939DS2, yes it works fine.
OCWorkbench
Old 06-11-2007, 10:03 AM
The one

Potenza rep: 10
bluetooth has disabled reputation

Not sure abt. this. Still hopeful it works.
and Join our Facebook Fan page at
http://www.facebook.com/ocworkbenchconnect
Old 06-11-2007, 04:53 PM

wizzard0003 is on a distinguished road
Talking Good Deal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armatoste View Post
And as for the 8800GT working on the 939DS2, yes it works fine.
Thanks very much Armatoste...

I thought so but just wanted to be sure...

\\//_
PCP&C 750W / Samsung 2253LW 21.6" LCD - 1680 x 1050 / Floppy
2x30GB OCZ Vertex SSD RAID-0 W7RC1-64 / Seagate 320GB SATA II VHP-64
DVDROM / DVDRW / Logitech LX7
Old 07-11-2007, 02:14 PM

Potenza rep: 9
corvus is on a distinguished road

Asrock quote:
939Dual-SATA2+AM2CPU Board does not support AM2+ CPU, because the BIOS size is too small (2Mb only) to add AM2+ CPU code.

My guess is that this is not the real truth, the BIOS image may be running out of slots to incorporate CPU microcode patches. If so, support for some older cores could be removed to allow integration of Phenom code....
This was done several years back with some P3 mobos, the P3s were the first CPUs with microcode patches, and there were quite some different cores around after a while...
Old 03-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Rookie

Potenza rep: 0
McDick is on a distinguished road
Default several questions associated to the matter...

Hello everybody,
this my query is already anticipated in 3D relevant to Coolers matching with upgrading card AM2CPU Board.
I own two of this Dual ASRock MoBos: 939Dual-Sata2 & its successor 939Dual-Vsta.
Since I have to purchase CPUs and RAMs DDR2 (I would evaluate new but even 2ndHand), I have the chance to make a previous well selection, based on benefits obtained against expenses.

My first question is if according to you for that MoBos there is hope will be submitted some Bios which would support new Phenoms CPUs?.
As per I read around, while it is less probably for Sata2 since its Bios storage is of 2MB only, Vsta is at least better addressed since it handle 4MB capacity.
What are according to you probabilities could emerge at short term an official ASRock Bios for Phenom?.
What are according to you same as above, but with a not official Bios?.
I know, there is another forum called: xtremesystems, specially its Russian branch, where I understand there are more guys experienced by creating of not official Bios, some one has some notice?.
I would like to know it timely, because on that depends if I shall search for 2, 1, or 0, CPUs X2, &/or wait for launching on market of new Phenoms, but before it for a valid BIos for that MoBos-CPUs combo.
Probably it is convenient I take now just nr 1 AM2 X2 CPU which I could use in both MoBos, & wait seeing what happens with Vsta if issued a new Bios in the near future. What is your opinion?.

Regarding DDR2 & CPUs combo, I read that for DDR2 pc6400 800MHz, the optimized solution as CPU would be a clock of 2800MHz, so the AM2 x2 5600+, do you share this statement?.
- What about to install 4*1GB sticks in Quad Channel? (I don't own yet Wdws Vista at 64Bits), or
- is better to limit to Dual Channel 2*1GB?,
- I received suggestions to avoid the 4*0.512GB, do you share it?.

This is probably the easier question:
Since I saw that more guys talk to fit CPUs very over x2 5600+ by making the upgrade via AM2CPU Board:
Checking in ASRock official link for CPUs compatibity with that Dual MoBos, higher 2*2800MHz that is there mentioned is the Fx-62, which is not easy to find & moreover it is expensive respect to same clock freq from normal 5600+ &/or higher.
My both MoBos are already updated to last Bios' versions respectively.
I understand from other 3Ds that I could install without issues a 5600+ & higher (even the 6400+) in both MoBos.
- Is that right?,
- In order to do it is necessary to flash some modded Bios?, or it is right the official Bios?.
- Particular settings to be done in order to fit the x2 5600+ or higher CPU?. or is it immediately recognized & able to be set?.

Regarding DDR2 Brand/Model, I was envisaging for GEIL Black Dragon CL4, specially new Evo series, but are a bit expensive and not easy to find. Some other suggestion?.

Anticipated thanks, Regards,

Last edited by McDick : 05-12-2007 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Silver Member

Potenza rep: 10
Tweakurr is on a distinguished road

To McDick: I've have deleted your repeated posts and left this one intact. There is no need to place the same message in several posts, as this forum is very responsive. So I will try to answer some of your question and I'm sure others and answer what I can not.

The 4MB size on the VSTA board does sound promising if that is Asrock's only excuse, but being an outdated board, don't count on Asrock. Bluetooth may have better luck in getting some sort of Beta Bios going.

I would get a affordable AM2 chip now and at least keep it in reserve to use on the DS2 in case the VSTA does get a beta Phemon Bios. Those who have installed a Brisbane seem to be happy with it on the daughterboard. Have not read too much of overclocking the Brisbane on this combo as most just seem happy it works. I don't think the 1.40 Rev.C bios (or might be Delta now) needed for that chip is on Asrocks' site, you will have to email them for it.

I would stick with brand memory listed by Asrock and just get the highest quaility you can afford. Won't make that big of difference unless you are going to overclock.

I am not a fan of 4 sticks of ram as it's harder on the controller, but sometimes this can not be avoided. I like to stay with 1T timing myself so I run two 1Gig sticks. Some say it doesn't matter, but I just feel better knowing I'm pushing it as fast as possible. If possible run two 2Gig sticks.

Others members please chime in and help McDick.

Keep Tweaking!

Last edited by Tweakurr : 04-12-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:14 AM
Rookie

McDick is on a distinguished road

Tweakurr,
thanks for your intervention. Sorry if I inserted same question in more 3Ds (I think 2). I was to opening a new 3D, but after I sought for similar 3Ds to my queries already opened, and I assessed for these 2.
I trust in the responsive of this forum, I am new here but I already smelt a spice of expertise from its users. I am here thanks to an eBayer user called Bebeyuma, I don't know if he uses same Nickname in this forum.
I agree with you about ASRock would not provide to us desired Bios, moreover there was an antagonist campaign since these MoBos were adopting the disappeared smart ALI/ULI chipsets.

To all forum' users, again:
So, we can divide my inquiries in two ones:

1st Inquiry relevant to 939Dual-Sata2:
It shall? / should? work in the better case with a Dual Core AM2 CPU (any hope for Phenom).
According to official list from ASRock, faster CPU supported is Fx-62. I saw users here achieved to run even x2 6400+.
My questions are (MoBo currently with last official Bios):
Based on some calculus which states that optimized synchronization for DDR2 800MHz is got with CPU clock 1400 multiple, by satisfying me with a 5600+:
- Can I install- run a 5600+ (ADA5600###)?, in place of an Fx-62?. Is an Fx-62 so much performing respect to 5600+?, or would they be near same?. Is over value of an Fx-62 justified comparing with a 5600+?.
- In affermative case (with official last Bios): can I just fit CPU there and start PC- configure it?, or it is necessary to do some other actions?, which?.
- Is it feasible but making use of some alternative (modded) Bios?, if yes: where I get it?.
- Other comments?.

2nd Inquiry relevant to 939Dual-Vsta:
My questions are (MoBo currently with last official Bios):
- So, as per I understand, there is already an user called Bluetooth engaged to get (develop?) a Beta Bios?, modded?. And what would be its status?, complete validated?, under test?, or in process?. Expected issuing time?.
Just a curiosity: are Phenom CPUs already available such to allow for modded Bios testing?. Or it is not necessary for its validation?.

By now I would conform to know if it is even in 'manufacture' status, I don't need modded Bios now. But I just would like to be aware there is an attempt in progress (independently of its success), such to delay the search of CPU to fit on 939Dual-Vsta for Phenom when ready the Bios.

I get right now aware about these Bios which wouldn't be available in ASRock site, but obtainable upon request to them: - 1.40 Rev.C, or - Delta.

Tweakurr: sorry, but I didn' understand what are able to enhance/ upgrade/ allow these Bios. Can you please provide more details?.

Regarding OverClock, I don't think I will do use of it. I prefer to fit "consonant and unstressed" components.

Thanks again. Bye,

Last edited by McDick : 05-12-2007 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:09 AM
Rookie

Licaon is on a distinguished road

Just dropping by to mention my last 2 days experience with BIOSes :)

my current system:
Asrock 939Dual-SATA II/AMD64 3500+ Venice/2x512Mb DDR400/ASUS 7600GS 512Mb TOP-Silent/Seagate 250gb 16Mb SATA2/Maxtor 120gb 8Mb ATA133/Creative AudigyLS/LG GSA-H10N/Thermaltake PurePower 420W

had been testing Vista far a while and noticed that Cool'n'Quiet was not actived, so my CPU was at 46degrees Celsius even in idle, and the whole system (mb/hdd/vid) got 5degrees Celsius more by doing nothing.

looking around the web i found out that AMD will not bring any C'n'Q driver for Vista since the OS already has something for that, yet on my system that something was not present.

so i messed around with 2 BIOS settings (MemoryHole/C'n'Q) with no result.

looking around the forums, i got BIOS version 2.31C (beta), flashed that on the board, just to find out that no matter what settings, the Windows installs (WinXP and Vista) will not boot, or boot to a BSOD, or freeze, yet the useless SafeMode seemed to work. and also the Linux install was working alright.

next i got OCW Beta 8 flashed it from grub (floppy image) from linux.... and everything got right.

Yes, the Windows installs work, and more, Vista has Cool'n'Quiet actived :D

I don't know why this BIOS made a difference since the changelog said: " Update AM2 CNQ algorithm" and i don't have the AM2 upgrade board, just an socket 939 CPU.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:05 AM
Rookie

master381 is on a distinguished road

just fyi, when running 2.30e, i don't have the half multipliers for my 5000+ black edition. with 2.31c, they are available.
(2x1gb wintec ampx and 2x1gb mushkin)
visiontek ati radeon hd 4850 512mb
audigy2zs platinum
antec sonata ii
seasonic es-500
vista business 64bit