Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench Lifestyle and Tech Forums, Computex Taipei 2014 Coverage, SG TECH SHOW 2014, PC SHOW 2014 Price list > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > ASRock (Intel boards)

ASRock (Intel boards) This is a brand new ASRock channel for discussion for Intel boards.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

Having a major video issue

ASRock (Intel boards)

Add this thread to:  Submit to Clesto Clesto  Submit to Digg Digg  Submit to Reddit Reddit  Submit to Furl Furl  Submit to Del.icio.us Del.icio.us  Submit to Spurl Spurl

Old 30-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Rookie

Potenza rep: 0
ginman522 is on a distinguished road
Default Having a major video issue

I recently installed the GTX680 beta drivers, and ever since when I do a PC "restart" only, not on a shutdown. When My PC restarts my monitor is gone, the PC is set to a very low 340 resolution and the monitor installed is called "Mobile PC Display". My Dell Monitor is totally gone from video devices, and can't be detected by windows. There are no other monitors connected to the vid card besides my dell.

Get this....When I do a restart I can always tell when this issue is going to happen because my bios splash screen doesn't show/post on the monitor, it just boots into windows without any bios options. This is why I feel it may be a mobo issue.

Anyway after reboot......

If I remove the Displayport cable from my video card and plug it back in, it resets to the correct 1080p resolution and my dell monitor is back in the video devices menu. The only thing is one I do this a few seconds later I get the Red Screen of Death, and have to do a hard shutdown. when I restart and select "boot windows normally", everything is fine from here on out. I confirmed my driver is 301.10 (WHQL)

I tried to rollback my video driver, but its still happening and its only on restarts, and not always.

Any ideas what this can be? A monitor issue?, a GTX680 issue? a PCI-E 3.0/ mobo issue?

Any ideas? I have no idea where to begin for such a problem...

Intel Core i7-3820 SB-E
ASRock X79 Extreme6/GB
16GB Samsung DDR3-1600 30nm MV-3V4G3D/US
Corsair Carbide 400r
Corsair H70 cooler w/2x COUGAR CF-V12HP 120mm fans
EVGA GTX680
Thermaltake toughpower grand 850
Intel 520 180GB SSD
Seagate momentus XT 750 gen2 hybrid
LG BD burner w/ 3D MDisc Lightscribe
Dell UltraSharp U2412M LED 1920x1200 w/IPS
Cerwin-Vega XD3 sound monitors
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Last edited by ginman522 : 30-04-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 30-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Rookie

jthomas is on a distinguished road

Thats a good one. So if it started behaving like that after you installed the beta drivers I would totally uninstall the video drivers and anything related to them and start fresh. I use ccleaner or revo to really get rid of everything related to nvidia.
Or if you have restore enabled why not restore to a date before you installed the beta drivers.
You never know what is left even after you rool back the drivers.
OCWorkbench
Old 30-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas View Post
Thats a good one. So if it started behaving like that after you installed the beta drivers I would totally uninstall the video drivers and anything related to them and start fresh. I use ccleaner or revo to really get rid of everything related to nvidia.
Or if you have restore enabled why not restore to a date before you installed the beta drivers.
You never know what is left even after you rool back the drivers.
I actually think it was intel virtualization that was the culprit. I installed it around the same time as the beta drivers. I uninstalled virtualization and disabled in the bios and it hasn't happened so far...we shall see?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:00 AM
Rookie

Well it turns out that the problem was still occurring, so I switched to a DVI-D connection (DVI-D GTX680 to DVI-D Dell U2412M). It solved my audio video sync problem so I hope this problem is also solved. DVI-D probably better anyway for my needs.

Added: It was definitely the Displayport on the GTX 680 causing the problem, since I have swtched to DVI, I have rebooted a bunch and it has not happened, nor have gotten any red screens.

Last edited by ginman522 : 03-05-2012 at 06:45 AM.