Main Page | | English News | Reviews | Forum | US Price List | Facebook | History | Contact | Privacy | Site Map

Custom Search

Go Back   OCWorkbench Lifestyle and Tech Forums, Computex Taipei 2014 Coverage, SG TECH SHOW 2014, PC SHOW 2014 Price list > PC Problems, Mainboard and Graphics card troubleshooting > ASRock (AMD Boards)

ASRock (AMD Boards) Support forum for ASRock products. This channel is for AMD boards.

Click here to resend forum activation email
Lost your password, Request it here

M3A770DE Bios Ver. 1.8 Beep Codes

ASRock (AMD Boards)

Add this thread to:  Submit to Clesto Clesto  Submit to Digg Digg  Submit to Reddit Reddit  Submit to Furl Furl  Submit to Del.icio.us Del.icio.us  Submit to Spurl Spurl

Old 18-04-2012, 05:50 AM
Rookie

Potenza rep: 0
Lykos23 is on a distinguished road
Default M3A770DE Bios Ver. 1.8 Beep Codes

Hello all, this is my first post. I'm having a problem with my ASRock mobo and that's what prompted me to join.

My ASRock board has served me well for well over a year now. But the other day there was a really bad storm in which lightning struck nearby and my entire house's electricity surged. (Our livingroom TV is stuck flickering, even).

Now my ASRock M3A770DE has ceased to function. However, I'm not sure if it's the ram or the motherboard which was damaged.

The PSU tests out fine, it's working in another computer. A different functional PSU is now plugged into it. The CPU is fine, as the motherboard still gives the same error no matter what cpu is hooked up. The GPU is fine, as it is running in a different computer now and the beep code doesn't change whether the GPU is plugged in or not (weird huh?). I've unplugged the hardrives and I have come to the conclusion that either a; the RAM is to blame and has been electrically damaged, or b; a component on the motherboard has been severely damaged.

The beep code it consistently gives is

2 short beeps followed by a short pause. Then 8 short beeps followed by a long pause. And then one beep.

It will not give video, and there is no way to test the RAM. Can anyone help me decode the error code? I can't figure out what it means.

If my motherboard is broken, is there a way I can have it repaired? I have very limited financial resources right now. RAM is $10 a stick right now, and I can barely afford that.
Old 18-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Bronze Member

Potenza rep: 11
uddarts is on a distinguished road

hey

i don't know the answer to the beep code but maybe someone else may.

while we wait, have you tried each stick of mem individually in each slot?

ud
Old 18-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
hey

i don't know the answer to the beep code but maybe someone else may.

while we wait, have you tried each stick of mem individually in each slot?

ud
Indeed I have

Both of the ram sticks have been tried alone in every slot. On the 8 tries booting, it still gives the same beep pattern. Without ram it gives a constant single beep and then pause over and over again.

This almost leads me to believe it is the motherboard, as it's odd for two ram sticks to die at once, but I can't be 100% sure yet.

Thanks for replying.
Old 28-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Rookie

Default I gave up

I went ahead and bought the cheapest motherboard on Newegg and a new 2x2 4gb kit of ram after taking out a loan.

My old ram seems to be functioning, while the old motherboard still doesn't work with new ram. It would seem my motherboard is the only damaged computer part.

The problem is now rectified.
Old 30-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Bronze Member

sfw1960 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

I was going to say that when such a power surge occurs, the RAM is rarely an item damaged.
Sorry for your loss - that was a great board.

Robert
AsRock 880 GM-LE ,Phenom X4 965 @4G, HD6670 Sapphire ,2X 4GB G-Skill RipJawz F3-12800 DDR3 , RW 630W PSU, HL/DT/ST -GH22LP20 +TSST SH-222AB , Samsung 830/128 - 840/250 SSD, HD103SJ x2 (1 for backups)...few externals
W7x64Pro
Live and learn , or DIE tryin' !!!! <'),)]]]]>><
Old 30-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
I was going to say that when such a power surge occurs, the RAM is rarely an item damaged.
Sorry for your loss - that was a great board.

Robert
Thanks replying, Robert. Wintec 4gb kits were only $23 so I upgraded nonetheless. 8gb seems a bit overkill, but I guess I'll live with the burden for now, haha.
Old 30-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Bronze Member

sfw1960 is on a distinguished road

Funny you say 8GB was overkill, I have a lot of stuff open at times where 4GB isn't near enough!
I was just trying to buy one like yours off eBay the other day.... tought to find more than 2 PCI slots any more.
I sure like my 880 though, she's a 'clocker.....

G'Luck!
AsRock 880 GM-LE ,Phenom X4 965 @4G, HD6670 Sapphire ,2X 4GB G-Skill RipJawz F3-12800 DDR3 , RW 630W PSU, HL/DT/ST -GH22LP20 +TSST SH-222AB , Samsung 830/128 - 840/250 SSD, HD103SJ x2 (1 for backups)...few externals
W7x64Pro
Live and learn , or DIE tryin' !!!! <'),)]]]]>><