I bought a new Chaintech 7AJA2E. I had connected everything and pressed the startbutton. It
booted up fine for a about 10 seconds, enought for me to notice that I hadn't connected my keyboard and that I'd connected the diskett reader backwards, when it suddenly died and I could smell the acrid smell of something burning (I had the side open when I started) After a while I tried starting it again but it was dead. I tried again with an older weaker source but nothing happened. I looked at my CPU thinking I might have burned it so I bought a new one. The old one was an AMD 700 MHz, the new one a Duron 1200. I tried turning it on again and out of the corner of my eye I noticed that the CPU fan flickered. I tried again and when I had the button pushed in it started to wirr and the red boot-up light lit but it all died as soon as my finger left the button. I plugged the screen cabel to the graphics card to see if anything happened on the screen but nothing. It didn't start at all and that's where I stand. Anybody have any ideas?
Other details, I have Windows 98, Western Digital 6.6 harddrive, 1
stick 128 MB RAM, 1 40x CDplayer and one CD Burner, 1 Hercules Prophet
graphics card. 350 W Enermax power source.
hi, i had a problem with one of there mobos also.i had a burning smell to but fortunately it didnt burn anything out. sounds like same problem. my mobo was shorting out where the screws go into the case. so i took that static bag that came with my mobo and i cut two squares out for each screw and i put one on top where the screw bolts down and one on the bottom and bolted my mobo down. it took care of the problem. i hope this helps. :cool:
Nope, didn't get better but thanks anyway I'd never have thought of that. I also tried installing my old m.board and that wasn't a problem so something's got to be wrong with my new board right? But I can't see anything wrong with it.
Hi Anna T, winr here.
I always test my mobo's out on a big static bag before putting in case now.
I had a case with built in stands that were a little too wide and shorted on the mobo.
Unhook your power supply from the mobo.
put a jumper wire in the green wire socket and any black wire socket and turn on or plug in power supply.
Your power supply should be on now and fan should run.
If you have voltage meter you could check the voltage.
Burning smell usually means something fried.
This may sound silly but you could smell each component and see if one smells really strong on burning.
PIN SIGNAL PIN SIGNAL
1 3.3V 11 3.3V
2 3.3V 12 -12V
3 GND 13 GND
4 5V 14 PS_ON
5 GND 15 GND
6 5V 16 GND
7 GND 17 GND
8 PW_OK 18 -5V
9 5V_SB 19 5V
10 12V 20 5V
Thanks for the advice. What does a jumpwire look like?
hi , its like a little pieces of metal sticking up . where u plug your power switch on and off they look like that,look in your manual,it should tell u were your jumpers are at. hope this helps.
Hi Anna T,
winr means a short piece or wire you can use to *jumper* the psu for testing.
It looks like this:
That way it is possible to see if the PSU works without being connected to the motherboard.If you have a Digital Multi Meter(DMM)you could test the voltages to find out if it still is working,
|All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:59 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright OCWORKBENCH 1998-2013 Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, China, Taiwan, USA, UK